Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Hours Updated and First Semester Reminder

Hi NHS Members,

I just updated the hours that I received between our January meeting and now, so please check your hours to see your current count.
Questions, comments, concerns? Please feel free to email me at grace.freund@gmail.com.

A few points I'd like to make:
-Mystery hours! Someone turned in a note with no name! If you completed five hours on January 16th "participating in activities with developmentally disabled adults," let me know! Be honest, guys. This is an honorable society.
-A lot of the hours sheets I received on the January meeting included service hours that were far too late for me to count them. If your service opportunity was completed before our December meeting and was not turned in to me by the end of that week, I cannot accept it. A lot of hours earned at holiday events, such as the Worthington Secret Shoppe, were not counted simply because they had been turned in far past the deadline. Please turn your hours in on time! I know the hours sheets are beautiful, but there is no need to squander them away past their due dates. It kills me that I have to disregard so many hard-earned service hours simply because they were turned in late, but we've laid out some clear rules, and all members must follow them. There is no room for leniency. If you are still unclear about the rules, do not hesitate to ask me! It's my duty as hours officer to take care of your hours needs.
-Shoveling snow does not count as a service opportunity. Sorry, guys.
-I know there was a rumor going around that caroling would not be counted for hours--this is false! The NHS officers determined that caroling with Mr. Hettenbach counts as an out of school service opportunity.
-Please remember to get your notes signed when you complete your service hours! Though the hours sheets are preferred, random sheets of paper, napkins, paper plates, and post-it notes are acceptable substitutes. As long as it's dated and signed, I don't care if your service supervisor writes your note on your forehead and you send me a picture. All that matters is that you have verification of your completed service!
-It is also really important that you include full dates on all of your service hours.

Also, please remember that every member must have completed 10 hours of service (either in-school or out) by the end of the first semester. Although the semester technically ends on Friday, we're cutting everyone some slack and counting all hours up until our meeting on February 9 as first semester hours. All hours not turned into me by February 9 will be counted as second semester hours. If you do not have ten hours from first semester, you will be considered a member not in good standing. This is especially significant for seniors, so get those hours to me! As the semester is coming to a close, check to see where you are in terms of completed hours. For your convenience, I highlighted all members who have completed the required first semester amount of 10 hours in green. If your name is not highlighted in green, you still need to complete some service hours. Need hours? Sign up for tutoring! Contact Graham or Karthik for more information.

Grace Freund
grace.freund@gmail.com

No comments: